Our Top Ten Traditions
I love the feelings and memories that come with traditions. There have been a few that I realize weren’t the smartest to start. What seemed like ‘just a little work’ for one son magnified with three. Unfortunately, those are the ones my boys seem to love the most! Homemade decorated cookies-on-a-stick for Valentine’s Day? A scavenger hunt complete with five rhyming clues (multiply that times three) to find Easter baskets? Those weren’t very well thought out!
Here’s a list of our family’s top ten Christmas traditions that we all enjoy:
1. Wrap 25 Christmas picture-story books. Open one and read each night before Christmas.
2 Advent readings each night.
3. Real tree bought at Lowes on the first Sunday evening in December. Supper afterwards at favorite restaurant.
4. Each boy picks out his own wrapping paper for his gifts to be wrapped in.
5. Christmas Eve brunch with Meisinger family.
6. Christmas Eve service at church, complete with treat bags filled with peanuts, one orange and some candy.
7. New PJ’s for each boy opened after getting home from church on Christmas Eve
8. Box of sugar cereal with each boy’s stocking for him to enjoy during Christmas break.
9. Christmas Day at my parents home with my brothers and their families.
10. Taking the tree down before Dec. 28th birthdays.
Each year the 365 days go by quicker and the traditions become more precious as the boys grow older. It’s always my hope that at least one of these traditions will be continued in their own homes someday.
I hope you’ve had a wonderful Christmas and I wish for you blessings in the coming year.